Monday, August 16, 2010

music to my ears

How many times have you listened to a song and thought... "Hey, I can relate to this, completely."? How many times have you chosen to listen to music that levels with your mood? (i.e. sad music whilst you're down.. upbeat whilst you're happy..) Why do we do that? Doesn't it remind us of what we are trying to forget? Doesn't it make us feel worse?


My hypothesis is that music has become more than an ambient audio that is called upon for special occasions and/or to distract oneself from sleep on public transport. It has become therapy. It has become a place your mind needs to go to, to repair, to vent, to confront...

the rhythm slowing my heartbeat
the lyrics mesmerising my mind
the song now on repeat
until and after i know every line


you're describing him
you're describing my life
the beat, the rhythm
it's all just right


it's leading me away
into a different world
reality starts to fade
as i begin to unfurl


exploring the alternative
the 'might have been', the chances
if i had chosen to forgive
if i had not chosen to be askance


all the problems i have faced
all written and told to myself
helping me see my mistakes
helping my emotional health


oh music to my ears
you are my best of friends
i love you oh so dear
no doubt, til the end



No comments:

Post a Comment