Saturday, April 24, 2010

Anzac Day

When I think of my parents for writing inspiration, my chain of thought alway leads to war. It's for a lot of reasons. It has helped me write some pieces that I'm very proud of. I wrote these in the past but I just want to put it together in one post as a tribute to Anzac Day.


I call myself an Australian. Anzac Day means a lot to me. In honour and forever in our memories, of the great number of great men, fighting to defend our country. Without their sacrifices we wouldn't be here today. I thank them, I honour them.

 



the soldier.,

birthed by fate
grew with faith
raised with might
lived with pride

life was joyful and clear
there was no fear
living day by day
love didn’t seem to fade

surrounded by simplicity
struggled with reality
drowned in ignorance
yearned for chance

pierced by burning rage
lashed out by betrayal
wounded by power
scarred the world

fought through ache
after freedom, we chased
burdened by expectations
‘til death or nothing


 
war.,

some say war is inevitable
some say it can be ceased
some say we are all capable
of finding answers to world peace

but how many can say
the name of every life
lost since ancient days
for their land, they strived

tell me the painful price
that we continue to pay on
tell the mother, daughter, or wife
their loved one, isn't coming home

tell it to the crosses
slanted in foreign grounds
tell it to the losses
that'll never be found

the past is a foundation
on which our future is built
without these recognitions
we'll always live in guilt

soldier, friend or foe
victim, young or old
war has brought us far and close
war, so much, for a blurry goal

i may not speak of every name
but my heart aches for every loss
do not treat war like a game
brave, precious lives are the cost



LEST WE FORGET

No comments:

Post a Comment